That's a great question and we're glad you are here! Hopefully this article can help you make the best decision possible.
Dependent on your kit, you may have multiple Whisker.Blocks and/or Smart.Hubs. It's best business practice on kit installation to install it in a temporary fashion before semi-permanently mounting your equipment.
Let's start with the most important part of your kit, the Smart.Hub -A.K.A. "gateway". The gateway is responsible for both receiving data from the Whisker.Blocks (sensors) and for communicating the received data to Whisker.io Portal (the cloud). If possible, it's best to place the gateway somewhere that's equidistant from all installed sensors but a place where the gateway can still achieve a cellular signal -and a place high on a wall or non-metallic shelf.
Avoid mounting the gateway(s):
- in low locations
- where metal racks, shelves or wall coverings (like stainless steel) can impede signal strengths
- where multiple, vertical structures are between the gateway and sensor(s)
- furthest from the sensors
Next are Whisker.Blocks. These are the devices responsible for reporting recorded data to the gateway. Sensors are designed to wake-up and report data every 5-minutes. Whisker.Blocks (sensors) require the same care as gateway installation.
Avoid mounting sensor(s):
- near doors -unless you're team is experiencing issues with closing doors and drawers properly
- in ultra-low areas
- directly to ceilings (warm air rises and food is not typically stored there)
- near lighting systems
- in the air pathways of or near the evaporator coil fans (both front and back sides
- in places not close to where food stored
- in places where product boxes will come into contact with the sensor(s)
When it comes to installation, mounting gateway(s) and sensor(s) high on walls is usually best business practice. As for gateways, utilize the extra cable length on the cellular antenna -when needed. You can also adjust the CB-style antenna for sensor signal reception. For sensors, mounting in a vertical fashion is highly recommended.